• Embassy Services
  • gb fr

Government Electronic Directory Service (GEDS)

Almost all Government of Canada employees are listed in a searchable database called the Government Electronic Directory Services (GEDS). The database can be searched by name, phone number or department and is available at:http://sage-geds.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/en/GEDS/.

Temporary Resident Visa

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is issued to all travelers entering Canada from countries which require a visa. These are issued by the Canadian Visa Office and cost, although diplomats and officials are fee exempt. These must be acquired prior to entering Canada, as they are not issued at the border. It is useful for diplomats and officials to have a TRV with them upon arrival, as it is an easily recognizable document. Your Accreditation will replace the TRV for all future travel. Applications may be submitted online, at a Visa Application Centre (VAC) or at the Canadian visa office serving your country or region. VACs charge a fee that is not waived for foreign officials.

All applications for TRVs must be accompanied by:

  • Two identity photos
  • A photocopy of the identification pages of the applicant’s passport
  • A letter issued by your mission or government
  • The original passport
  • The ICAO letter of support

To see the official checklist of required documents, see: http://www.vfsglobal.ca/Canada/serbia/english/pdf/IMM5484E.pdf

Check Application Status

The government of Canada allows individuals to check the processing and wait times of specific applications. Individuals can enter their application or identification number to see how far along it is. The website can be found at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp

Note that you should not travel with your official Canadian diplomatic ID, these will not be accepted as travel documents by the Canadian Border Security Agency. Only passports may be used for travel. Foreign officials are also advised to use the diplomatic lines at the airport and avoid the use of face recognition technology at the airport.

Electronic Travel Authorization

The Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is required for any visa-exempt foreign national who flies through Canada or transits through a Canadian airport. They must be acquired prior to entering Canada, but the application typically only takes a few minutes to be processed online. eTAs are not required for those travelling across land borders or entering via sea ports. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, Canadian permanent residents, U.S. citizens and travelers with a valid Canadian visa do not require an eTA to enter Canada. An eTA costs $7 and may be valid for up to five years or until your passport expires. To purchase an eTA, please visit http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta-start.asp. Foreign diplomats accredited in Canada by the Department of Global Affairs Canada are exempt from the eTA.