• Embassy Services
  • gb fr

R186(d) applies to military and civilian personnel in possession of movement orders outlining that they are coming to Canada from countries designated under the terms of the Visiting Forces Act (VFA). Military personnel should not be confused with “Military Attachés” who are diplomatic agents in diplomatic missions. The accreditation of military personnel is coordinated by the Department of National Defence.


ilitary personnel and civilian components coming to Canada under the terms of the Visiting Forces Act, as staff or to attend any school or training unit, are considered on active duty. They are exempt from work or study permit requirements. Military personnel designated under the VFA are also exempt from requirements for a passport under R52, from a temporary resident visa under R190, and from foreign national medical examinations under R30. These exemptions do not apply to civilian components or to family members. Civilian components and family members are, however, exempt from the temporary resident visa fee R296(b).

Family members of exchange officers who qualify for admission under R186(e) and have nonreciprocal contracts, require an LMO (Labour Market Opinion). In most cases, employers who wish to hire temporary foreign workers must first apply to Service Canada for a Labour Market Opinion. The opinion assesses the impact the foreign worker would have on Canada’s labour market or, in other words, how the offer of employment would likely affect Canadian jobs. An employer needs a positive Labour Market Opinion to hire a temporary foreign worker. Spouses may qualify for an exemption under the Spouses of Skilled Workers Program R205(c) (ii), C41.

Family members of exchange officers authorized to enter Canada under R186(e), who have a reciprocal Public Service Commission contract, are exempt from requiring a Labour Market Opinion under R205(b), C20. Fee exemptions may apply and open work permits may be issued.