• Embassy Services
  • gb fr

Canada has excellent medical facilities, each staffed with a wide array of specialists. While members of foreign missions can access all medical facilities in the healthcare system, they may be required to pay all fees before they are treated. Healthcare in Canada is expensive, so it is important to obtain good medical insurance that covers a wide range of services. There are no private hospitals or clinics that cater only to foreign officials, although some of the larger foreign missions do have “on-site” health practitioners. For example, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) houses both a general practitioner and a pediatrician.
The Canadian healthcare system is...read more

Canada is one of few countries that have signed agreements with respect to the employment of spouses of diplomats and other foreign representatives. Job seekers, however, may find it difficult to secure work in Canada that corresponds to their skills and experience. When applying for positions, spouses and children of foreign representatives may find that their qualifications need to be renewed or that they will have to undergo retraining to meet Canadian standards. This may include taking additional courses, the associated fees for which may be incurred at your own personal expense. Job seekers need to research the requirements for specific occupations or industries, as well as language skills needed for that position. For example, it may be difficult to find a job in the province of Québec without any... read more

The Canadian education system is regulated by the provincial and territorial governments through their ministries of education. These ministries oversee smaller bodies called boards of education or district school boards, which then manage individual schools in a particular region. Additionally, Canadians have access to three different types of schools: public, private and Catholic. The largest school boards in cities with foreign missions are the Ottawa Carleton District School Board, Commission scolaire de Montréal, English Montreal School Board, Toronto District School Board, Calgary Board of Education, the Edmonton Public School Board and the Vancouver School Board... read more

There are two different sales taxes in Canada, federal (GST) and provincial (PST), except in Alberta which has no provincial sales tax. The federal GST is currently 5 percent. In some provinces, such as Ontario, these taxes are harmonized into a single tax (HST). Québec administers a harmonized tax that still indicates both the federal (GST or TPS in French) and provincial (QST or TVQ in French) amounts. Other provinces, such as British Columbia, have a separate provincial and federal sales tax system. By keeping the sales taxes separate, certain goods and services are not subject to PST in the province.

These sales taxes are collected on goods and services sold to foreign states and international organizations and their representatives... read more


Office of Protocol of Canada

Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development